What’s Your Guilty Pleasure?

Sushi

One of the glories of the gospel is that it transforms ‘guilty pleasures’ into grateful pleasures. In other words, things that you once did without gratefulness to God or self-control (e.g. eat ice cream, go cycling, watch movies), you can now do with joy in your heart and in a way that pleases God.

So I’m declaring today Grateful Pleasure Friday. My grateful pleasure? Sushi. Yes, as freakish as it may sound, I enjoy eating fish that are only slightly dead. I love the taste and texture of raw tuna. I love the ‘nostrils full of lava’ feel you get when you consume a little to much wasabi. Raw fish = extreme deliciousness. I’m grateful to God for sushi.

Alright, you’re up. What’s your grateful pleasure?

+ArabianRose

Comments

I’ve never had sushi, but the way you describe it makes it sound delicious.

My grateful pleasure is a birthday. I don’t know who originally thought up the idea of celebrating, but what a pleasure to have an entire day and an entire chocolate cake devoted just to you. And presents to boot! I may change my tune when my birthdays no longer start with a 2 and turn into 3s and 4s, but for now, they are just fun!

2. Stephen Altrogge says

Steven – Thanks for sharing your blog with us. Isn’t God good to give us such gifts to enjoy?

Courtney – Yeah celebrating birthdays is a blast. Anybody know how the birthday celebration got started?

3. Audra Barrick says

Clean sheets. I LOVE snuggling into fresh clean sheets. I also greatly enjoy the new thin mint blizzard at DQ – a very recent discovery.

4. DeeDee says

A nice hot black cup of 100% Kona coffee. Expensive…but oh-so-delicious. And made even better when sipped along side a good book.

Hmmm…I don’t think I can narrow it down to just one. How about a short list? :)
    -Clothes that smell like the sun, fresh off the line
    -Good, simple food
    -Weekly Date night
    -Good books
    -Wireless internet!!
    -Beach trips

6. beth says

haha stephen…
    i didn’t know you ate sushi… or maybe i did and forgot. your description is kinda unappealing tho – nostrils full of lava?
    but i will tell you, i’ve changed my ways. i went out for sushi last week and got sashimi. correct: just a plate of raw fish to sample. tuna (regular and white), red snapper, salmon and something else…? and believe it or not, i love wasabi too. just not a ton. i just didn’t make the mistake that brandon did at the mckelvey’s…

7. Stephen Altrogge says

YellerDaisies – Starbucks is definitely at the top of my Grateful Pleasures list.

Laurel – Where would we be without wireless internet?

Beth – I’m glad to see that you’re finally seeing it my way!

8. beth says

mm i’m not. i’m just figuring it out as i go along. “your” way happens to be a lot of people’s ways.
    or something like that.
    just hurry up and move so i can visit you.