The Most Important Issue Of The Election

I’ve heard Christians say things like, “Abortion is important, but there are other issues just as important.  I don’t believe we should vote for or against someone simply based on their stand on this issue.”

I would agree that there are many serious and important issues to consider such as the economic crisis,  health care, education, terrorism, the war in the Middle East, and tax reform.

So why is abortion more critical than other issues?  The Bible, the very Word of God, our only infallible guide and ultimate authority for our lives, tells us God created human beings in his image and likeness.  Abortion destroys the image and likeness of God in a widespread and massive way.  Over a million times a year in this nation, the image and likeness of God is barbarically torn apart and tossed in the trash.  How can God bless the economic, educational or other policies of a person, party or nation that supports and promotes this horrific practice?

As critical as other issues may be, abortion snuffs out over 1 million innocent lives every year.  Is there any other issue in which 1 million children a year are slaughtered?

I checked statistics from America’s wars and I was shocked at what I found.

The total number of deaths in all of America’s Wars from the American Revolution to the present (Including the War of 1812, the Indian Wars, the Mexican War, the Civil War, the Spanish-American War, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, the Gulf War and the current one) is 657,894.

Astounding.  The total number of battle deaths in ALL of America’s wars put together does not even equal the number of deaths in ONE YEAR in this nation through abortion.

Over 48 MILLION babies have been slaughtered in the United States since 1973.  Is there any other issue that has killed 48 million Americans in the last 35 years?

The population of New York City is a little over 8 million people.  If every 8 years, a city the size of New York City were decimated, do you think the candidates would make that a priority?  Since 1973, New York City would have been wiped out 6 times.

We should examine both candidates’ and both parties’ statements and stands on abortion.  Remember, Presidents can appoint Supreme Court Justices who will either vote for or against the cause of life, and sign or veto legislation that either protects the unborn or promotes abortion.

Please watch this video on YouTube.  It is graphic and disturbing, but every Christian adult should see this.  It brings home the reality of what is at stake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLaai6o0O0A

Last Sunday I preached a message entitled “The Sacredness of Human Life: What Does God Have to Say About It?”  You can listen to it or download it at: http://www.sgcindianapa.org/resources/audio.php

Also, listen to or read John Piper’s messages on abortion at desiringgod.org.

And please pray that God will give us godly leaders who will stand and work for the cause of the unborn.

photo by Paul Goyette

Comments

1. Wendy says

Thank you for bringing attention to this issue. It seems to be the issue that few people talk about this year. It breaks my heart to think of all of the children that have been mercilessly killed because of this horrifying practice. And it is scary to think that the 48 million that have been killed could become exponentially more if some of the laws that are currently in place to regulate it are overturned or amended. I implore Christians (and others) everywhere to seriously consider the issue of abortion when choosing a candidate. And I pray for our nation and our leaders now, next Tuesday, and beyond.

Can I ask, where do you get your pictures for your blogs? I love this one in particular.

I could not believe Obama’s answer to Rick Warren’s question about when life begins… “…above my pay-grade” what a weak response.

Hey Dennis,

I usually get my pictures from Flickr:advanced photo search and I use the Creative Commons photos only. That’s where I got the one for this post. Sometimes I get them from stock.xchng.

Yes, very weak response.

4. Audra says

Mark
    Thanks for the post! I have always been opposed to abortion but it amazed me at what a viceral response I have to it now that we have a little one! It is just unfathomable!

Gentles,

I also believe that abortion is wrong. But I believe this for myself. I do not believe I have wisdom enough to dictate to another not just what they should believe, but should actually do, on this issue.

Which brings to mind a question I have not heard a convincing answer to yet. Mighty God Himself gave me the incredible right -the RIGHT- to reject Him, and all He teaches. For many years I took Him up on this offer, and did not believe. As years went by, I changed, and today I know and trust Jesus as my Lord and Savior. My question is, if God Himself gave His children the right to reject Him and His teachings……why do so many here on earth, and particularly in the anti-abortion or right-to-life movement, feel their wisdom and understand on this issue is so great that they can supercede God’s gift of the right to reject Him, and take away a woman’s right to choose, based on their own Biblical beliefs?

If a woman doesn’t believe in the God of the Bible, or in any God at all, why shouldn’t she have the right to do with her body and her child what SHE believes is right? Isn’t that the very argument anti-abortionists are making, that WE all should outlaw abortion because it’s the right thing to do, according to what THEY believe? Who am I -who are any of us- that we should try and take away that which God gave each woman–the right to make that decision for herself?

In part because I have never heard a convincing answer to that question, I have been left with the uncomfortable feeling that many in the anti-abortion camp believe that abortion should be outlawed because THEY think it’s wrong-and God has nothing to do with that. That makes it a personal opinion, and their opinion is no more correct or right or persuasive than mine is. It carries no moral weight, it’s just an opinion, like everybody else’s.

Telling someone who doesn’t agree with your beliefs that they must do a thing because the God YOU believe in says so is a very slippery slope. Put another way, are those of us working to make the right to life a law, willing to work just as hard to make Islamic beliefs law in this land, for all the same reasons we use now to argue Christian beliefs into law? “Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.”

6. Stephen Altrogge says

Glenn –

Thanks for stopping by the site. We appreciate it when people leave comments.

Unfortunately I must disagree with you. You are right in the sense that one person’s opinion can’t determine what another person can do. But in the case of abortion, it’s a matter of what the Bible says.

1) Scripture says that life begins at conception (Ps. 139:13)

2) Scripture says that it is always wrong for one person to take another person’s life. A person that is not a Christian does not have the right to take another person’s life just because they don’t believe in God. This isn’t simply a rule for Christians to follow.

This issue is not one of preference or opinion, but one of life. That’s why abortion is wrong for all people.