A Prayer for Barack Obama

Father,

This is your world, and you do with it as you please. You’re the King of Presidents and the true director of all nations. A man can’t become president, or pastor, or prime minister, or plumber, without your consent. There isn’t a country or king or child or bird or insect that sustains itself. You work all things according to your plans, and no human plan can stand apart from you.

We bless you for allowing Barack Obama to be elected as President of the United States. We know that he wasn’t ultimately elected by Democrats or Republicans, but by You. So we trust you. You knew exactly what you were doing.

Lord, our greatest desire is not that the economy would be righted, or that health care would be solved, or that the war in Iraq would be resolved. We want to see You glorified in whatever way you choose. Glorify Yourself through Barack Obama. We pray that four years from now more people would know and love you because Barack Obama was in office.

We pray that you would draw Barack Obama to yourself. Open his eyes to see the glories of Jesus Christ and Him crucified. Press Your hand upon him. Allow him to feel the fragility of this country.

Your word tells us that you control his heart like a waterway. Please cause him to enact godly laws, laws that will promote the spread of your gospel. Breathe into him a love for human life, a heart that moves with compassion for the needy, and a deep sense of Your justice.

Above all else, use Barack Obama as a channel for Your kingdom.

In Jesus name, amen.

Comments

1. Wendy says

Thank you for reminding us all to pray for our new president! Regardless of whether we agree with him or disagree with him- he is the president that God has chosen for our country. It is easy to get wrapped up in how we feel about his policies and not be concerned with his salvation! Thanks!

2. Ransome Welborn says

I hope the prayer works to bring Barack Obama to Jesus, but I cannot believe God made him president because of what he has done or said. This nation is fast becoming a non-christian nation because of people like Barack Obama. He is not president because God choose him no more than a specific team wins the Super Bowl because God picked them. In Luke 20:25 Jesus said: “Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.” (NKJV)

3. Stephen Altrogge says

Ransome – Thanks for your comment. I appreciate that you took time to share your thoughts.

Unfortunately I have to disagree with you. To say that God did not make Barack Obama president is to say that God does not sovereignly rule over the world, and that somehow Obama became president apart from God wanting him to.

Throughout scripture there are many references to God raising up and appointing kings, even wicked ones. 1 Samuel 24:6 is an example of this, where David says, “The LORD forbid that I should do this thing to my lord, the LORD’s anointed, to put out my hand against him, seeing he is the LORD’s anointed.”

Saul was a wicked king who had done wicked things, and yet David refused to kill him because Saul was God’s anointed. I may not agree with Obama’s policies or actions, but from scripture I have to say that God appointed him.

4. Ransome Welborn says

Stephen,

I totally agree with you that God is in control of the Universe, as I also believe God is in control of the weather of the Earth. Man seems to believe that he is powerful enough to change the weather patterns of God’s creation. God has ruled over many weather changes in the history of the world, including icecap meltdowns. But man and countries through history have gone against God’s will and lost His favor. The bible speaks of God appointing kings for His chosen people, Israel, but this country has not obeyed God and as a country does not have God’s favor. This country was founded as a Christian nation, but as Obama once said, it is no longer a Christian nation. I believe he thought that was good.

If, as you say, God appointed Barack Obama as president, then he has a purpose as he did when he appointed the Pharoh of Egypt to point his poeple Israel in the direction of his will. If this is the case, I pray that the people of this country will stop disobeying God and return to being a Christian nation and put God’s name back into the day to day activities of our government. I pray that unborn children will stop being killed, that Christians will no longer be stifled from doing what Jesus told us to do (spreading his Word through all the nations, including our own), and stop honoring a group of people that blatantly commit a sin that God has told us in the Old Testament and the New Testament is a sin, and they say that it is good. Our country has even passed laws that say that God and the Bible were wrong. I pray that our new leader will awaken to God’s will and put this country back on path to doing God’s will. Then I will believe that he was appointed by God.

5. Wendy says

I had a friend suggest that Christians read through Romans 13 as we put the inauguration into perspective. It was encouraging and helpful to me to remember Who is in charge of any and all government. I hope it will be a helpful reminder to others as well! May God bless America!

6. Jim says

This nation is not a Christian nation nor is that a bad thing. We are a nation of many faiths and many beliefs including Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, non-religiosity, atheism, agnosticism and a host of other spiritual paths.
    It is basic ignorance of our history as a nation to claim that this country was ever a “Christian nation”: we’ve had a Christian majority, yes, but the “Founding Fathers” were largely composed of deists quite in contrast with beliefs of modern Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc.
    I would hope that my fellow Christians would not be ignorant of our history and culture in this country. Please be mindful of that.

7. jeff says

You know, before i read this prayer, i said to myself; Barak Obama says that he’s a Christian man but his agenda says
    different. I have heard so many things and read things that he supports. For instance; gay marriage, partial birth abortion
    repeal of DOMA and other controversial topics. I am a Christian man and i cannot judge him, for that is for the Lord
    to do. I have been very leery of him because of the things i’ve
    mentioned. I realize now that God tells us to pray for our leaders and people in authority. So, this is what I will do.I must realize that God is in control and He alone knows the outcome of any and every situation. Lastly, I want to say that
    the prayer was eloquently put. May God blessed our President as he becomes endeavors to run this great country
    in very trying times.