The Greater The Sinner, The Greater The Glory

cross

“I saw Mr. Newton near the closing scene.  He was hardly able to talk; and all I find I had noted down upon my leaving him was this: ‘My memory is nearly gone, but I remember two things: That I am a great sinner and that Christ is a great Savior.'”–from “The Roots of Endurance”, by John Piper, p. 347

Christ is an infinitely great Savior.  All the sins of all peoples of all time, if massed together, would be but a speck compared to the ocean of Christ’s blood.  Combine all the unbelief, doubts and fears of the whole human race and they would form a tiny anthill next to Christ’s faithfulness that reaches to the heavens.  Mountains of guilt and regret are like chaff that Jesus can blow away as far as the east is from the west by just a puff.

Heaven will be populated with great sinners, to display the awesome power of Jesus to save.  To save a young child is a marvelous miracle, but to save someone hardened in their sins after rejecting Christ for decades is even more amazing.  And to save millions of wicked, cursing, God-hating, lying, unbelieving, arrogant, dead people is more amazing still.  The greater the sinner, the greater the glory Jesus gains.  Heaven will be filled with great sinners like Newton the slave trader, Augustine the slave to lust, Paul the Church persecutor, David the adulterer and murderer, and me and you.

Every time you’re overcome by a sense of your sinfulness, remember that as great a sinner you are, Jesus is an infinitely greater Savior.  And every time you’re tempted to quit praying for someone’s salvation, remember that no one is too wicked for Jesus to rescue.  So keep praying to the Great Savior for the salvation of your family and friends.  The greater the sinner, the greater the glory.

photo by hour of the wolf

Comments

Wow! Amazing!

For some reason, this made me think of a song by a local song-writer over here, called Matt Giles – he wrote a song based on the “Privileges” prayer in the Valley of Vision book – number 158 if you have it.
    The prayer and the song are great, cause of the truth they express!

“Wave upon wave, of grace reaches me, deals with my sin and washes me clean!” Amazing!

My wife and I are reaching out to some people that I just can’t see ever praising Jesus as their Savior. Their hearts are so hard. I am tempted to think these are people Jesus cannot save.

Thank you for this message. It encourages me. My heart was hard once too; and often still is. Jesus can replace the heart of stone with a heart of flesh at the snap of his fingers.

Lord help me believe this!

• says

Hey ja,

There are some folks that seem to be almost beyond saving, so I was preaching to myself in the post. You’re right, we have to keep remembering the power of Jesus rather than focusing on how hard someone’s heart is. Thanks for commenting.

• says

I’m one of those! I pray my dad will be too!!

Jacob was one too :)

I noticed the quote at the top of this post — John Piper is in good company…

“I know two things; I am a great sinner and Christ is a great saviour.” John Newton

;)

• says

You’re right, Jeff – Jacob was one too! Keep praying for your dad – I believe that Jesus saved you so that you could pray for your dad, so that Jesus will use your prayers toward his salvation.

My husband’s grandfather, a fighter pilot in WWII, flew with a navigator who was a believer. Even though they flew several dangerous missions and were once shot down behind enemy lines, his navigator never shared the Gospel with Grandpa because he believed he “was too far gone.” Amazingly, years later, a 16 year old farm boy walked into Grandpa’s office (by this time, Grandpa was a chiropractor) and in the course of his visit, confronted Grandpa with his need for the Savior. The Spirit convicted Grandpa of his sin and need for Jesus on the spot and Grandpa believed the Gospel and was never the same again.
    When I remember Grandpa’s story, I am reminded it is arrogance on my part to discount what God can do in the life of anyone. As long as there is breath, there is hope.

Hey Mark,
    What an awesome reminder of how great the Father’s love is for us! I am so amazed by the beauty of the gospel, a sinner condemned and unclean now has a relationship with the Father, all because of Jesus!
    I can so easily take this for granted, I’m so thankful for the daily reminders that you and Stephen provide here. We are indeed worse off than we know but more loved than we could ever imagine! What a Savior!
    Blessings
    Ron Reffett

• says

Hi Ron,

“We are indeed worse off than we know but more loved than we could ever imagine!” Great quote man! Is that yours? Thanks so much Ron – I know I need to meditate daily on how great my Savior is – thanks for you comments.