Would You Trade It All For Wisdom?

doors

Behind door number 1 is the thing that you’ve always wanted.

A wife. A new job and a boss that doesn’t treat you like cow poo. Money to pay off the staggering deficit you racked up in college. A sweet house that includes a flat-screen TV, a two-car garage, and a garden for puttering. A 401k package that isn’t flat lining. It’s all there in one glorious, shiny, jaw-dropping heap. And you can have it. If you want.

Behind door number 2 is something even better.

Take my instruction instead of silver, and knowledge rather than choice gold, for wisdom is better than jewels, and all that you may desire cannot compare with her. (Prov. 8:10-11)

Study both doors very carefully. Behind one door is all you ever desired. Behind the other door is godly wisdom.

Which door do you choose?

Unless you have the sense of musk ox, you’ll choose wisdom. Why? Because all you desire can’t hold a candle to wisdom. Wisdom is a shield and a guardian (Prov. 2). It gives you years of life, peace, favor in the sight of God and man, honor, pleasantness, and sweet sleep (Prov. 3).

Only a moron of inter-galactic proportions would neglect wisdom. Unfortunately, I’ve been that moron. Many times.

But I’m seeking to grow. I’ve been praying that God would help me to increase in wisdom. I’ve been captivated by the idea that wisdom is more precious than diamonds. I want that kind of wisdom.

So help me out. How do we get this wisdom that is more precious than diamonds?

Connect with me on Facebook or Twitter

+photo by anyjazz65

Comments

We do what James tells us and what Solomon did, and ask God, who gives to all men generously. We must have faith that this promise it true, that He will do it. We must couple this with what Paul tells Timothy, and go to the sourse God has given us where His wisdom is contained, the Bible. For all scripture is breathed out by God, and profits us to learn from, convict us, correct us, and sanctify us. It is there for us, He has promised.

I talk to my mom. And my dad.

Well, I also read the Bible and listen on Sundays to the pastors preaching and read good books (like the Truth of the Cross by R.C. Sproul which I just finished). I find, though, that I can apply it so much better when I talk to someone else who is wiser than me.

Spending time meditating on God’s word, time with older Godly Christian and good Christian books help me:)

But the bestest is when we go to the Lord and ask wisdom from Him:)

Another comment:Just finished reading your Book, My Fiend, My Hero, My Dad.. I really enjoyed it a lot.. Was very encouraged by your Dad’s life and the impact it had on you and the importance he gave to being a servant at home.Thank you for sharing all the fun memories:)
    P.S. You have a very good sense of humour:)

• says

Caroline – I’m glad you found the book helpful! And yes, I agree, spending time meditating on God’s word is hugely important. And Christian books and older Christians are also very helpful!

5. Kim Noble says

I know I'm really slow on the uptake–over a year slow, apparently!–but one other way is to be in church on Sundays faithfully listening to the Word of God being preached by men who make it their life's passion to study, know and grow. :) Thanks, Stephen, for always providing thoughtful blogging posts!

Kim :)