Irrefutable Proof

tomb

One truth that sets Christianity apart from all other religions is the resurrection of Christ from the dead.

No other religion claims its founder rose physically from the dead.  And no other religion has proof that its version of what happens when we die is true.  Has anyone any proof of reincarnation?  Has anyone ever conclusively demonstrated they had been reincarnated from an earlier life?

Jesus gave his disciples “many proofs” that he was alive, so they would have no doubt.

AC 1.3 He presented himself alive to them after his suffering by many proofs, appearing to them during forty days and speaking about the kingdom of God.

Jesus appeared to his disciples numerous times over a 40-day period after he rose from the dead and before he ascended to heaven, and gave them “many proofs” that he was alive.

He appeared to 2 women at the tomb, to Mary Magdalene at the tomb, to 2 disciples on the road to Emmaus, to Peter in Jerusalem, to ten disciples in the upper room (Thomas not with them), then to 11 disciples in the upper room (Thomas there), to 7 disciples fishing in Galilee, to 11 disciples in Galilee, to 500 disciples at once, and to James, the Lord’s brother.

Jesus appeared to both individuals and groups.  He appeared indoors and outdoors.  He appeared to both men and women.  He appeared at different times of the day.  Jesus’ appearances were not grief-inspired hallucinations or  phantasms created by people’s hyper-active imaginations  conjuring a spirit when a floorboard creaked, like ghost hunter TV shows.  There’s no account of Peter saying, “James!  Did you feel that?  I just felt something brush past me.  I think it was Jesus!”

Jesus spoke to his disciples.  He ate in their presence.  He invited Thomas to put his finger in the nail marks and the wound in his side.  The apostles saw him, heard him, touched him.

Jesus is alive!  And because he is, we who have believed in him will also be raised to life.  When believers die, we don’t grieve as those who have no hope.  We grieve, yet know they are alive with Christ and we’ll see them again.  We know because Jesus gave us irrefutable proof that he rose from the dead.

D.L. Moody expressed our confidence when he said, “Some day you will read in the papers that D.L. Moody, of East Northfield, is dead. Don’t you believe a word of it! At that moment I shall be more alive than I am now.”

May Christ’s resurrection give you great hope today!

photo by hoyasmeg

Comments

1. Elaine says

The D.L. Moody quote was shared at my dad's funeral back in April of 2002; our pastor went on to say, "This week you read in the paper that Tony Anderson is dead – DON"T YOU BELIEVE IT! Today he is more alive than he has ever been, standing in the presence of his Savior, Jesus Christ!" He went on to preach the Gospel and to call people to repentence.

The entire theme of the funeral was the hope we have because of the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Many who attended were not saved and later shared with us how they were deeply touched by the message of hope we have in the Gospel. I don't know if any people were saved that day, but I do know the Gospel was preached with great passion. It may sound strange but it was a FANTASTIC funeral! What a Lord and Savior we have!

Hi Elaine,

What a wonderful funeral that must have been! Your dad must have been a godly man. I hope that whoever does my funeral reads that DL Moody quote. Amen- what a Lord and Savior we have!

• Elaine says

By the grace of God, Dad was a godly man. The Lord saved him when he was 58. He had quite the reputation as a great guy who loved to have a good time. He was confronted lovingly with the grace numerous times but always felt like he was okay. One evening, my pastor, the same guy who preached my dad's funeral, shared the Gospel with Dad, and the Lord opened his eyes to his need for a Savior. The Lord changed him radically in that moment and until his death13 years later, he loved and followed the Lord faithfully. Quite a shock to his old buddies!

3. lisa says

What timing, Mark! Just last night at supper my brother-in-law was telling us that Jesus is dead, not alive. He is mentally retarted and for some reason is hostile to the gospel. I don't know how much he can understand, but I do know he has somehow, somewhere picked up some seriously wrong ideas. I have printed your post so we can read it to him tonight. If anyone would like to pray for Dale, we would appreciate it! I know God's word is powerful and will not return to him void. We look forward to the day when God grants him understanding and repentance! Thanks for preaching the gospel faithfully, Mark. We do have SO much to look forward to as sinners saved by grace. Thank God for the resurrection!

Wow, Lisa! Thanks for letting me know. I just prayed for Dale. The Lord can certainly open his eyes and heart to the gospel and I hope it is very soon! Who knows, maybe tonight?

5. Elaine says

One of the sweetest memories we have of Dad is seeing him with Pastor Storm (great name for a preacher – and man, could he preach!). Pastor Storm had shared the Gospel with my dad time and time again, only to have my dad say, "No, thanks, preacher!" While just a couple of months after he was saved, Dad was attending a meeting where Pastor Storm was preaching. After the service, Dad approached him and asked him if he remembered him, Pastor Storm looked at Dad and tears began to flow down his face. "Tony Anderson, I know you,"he said. Dad shared with him how the Lord had saved him and the two embraced now as brothers in the Lord. After 25+ years, the seeds Pastor Storm and others had sown in my dad's life had been brought to a great harvest. What a blessing for Pastor Storm to see a glimpse of what the Lord was doing in my dad's life after all those years of praying for Dad and sharing the Gospel with him; never giving up, always faithful to point Dad to Jesus. What a testimony of the Lord's goodness!

Hey Mark,
    Great post! I take great comfort in knowing that we serve a risen and very much alive savior! I also take great comfort in knowing that one day we shall see our loved ones again, my pastor has a saying that death is not a good bye but a see you later. When my first wife passed away, I had a great deal of grief, and still am saddened by her passing but I know that as D.L. Moody she is more alive now than she ever was here in this life. At Kris'(my first wife) memorial service we worshipped and gave thanks to the Lord for His great gift of life not just here but for all eternity. We can take great comfort in the fact that we are going to live forever with the One who has conqured the grave! The resurection has truly changed everything!
    Blessings
    Ron Reffett

Hey Ron,

I can't imagine what you have been through but I hope that should I ever go through anything similar, I can have faith like yours. Your pastor's comment is just what my grandmother used to say when we'd leave after being with her on vacation each summer. She'd say, "Don't say goodbye, just say so long."

8. A.K.Satsangi says

“My most Revered Guru of my previous life His Holiness Maharaj Sahab, 3rd Spiritual Head of Radhasoami Faith had revealed this secret to me during trance like state.
    HE told me, “Tum Sarkar Sahab Ho” (You are Sarkar Sahab). Sarkar Sahab was one of the most beloved disciple of His Holiness Maharj Sahab. Sarkar Sahab later on became Fourth Spiritual Head of Radhasoami Faith.
    Since I don’t have any direct realization of it so I can not claim the extent of its correctness. But it seems to be correct. During my previous birth I wanted to sing the song of ‘Infinite’ (Agam Geet yeh gawan chahoon tumhri mauj nihara, mauj hoi to satguru soami karoon supanth vichara) but I could not do so then since I had to leave the mortal frame at a very early age. But through the unbounded Grace and Mercy of my most Revered Guru that desire of my past birth is being fulfilled now.”