Are You A Revealer Or A Concealer?

l-ezot2detyur0he

One big difference between the righteous and the wicked is that the righteous reveal and the wicked conceal with their mouths.

The mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life,
but the mouth of the wicked conceals violence. (PR 10.11)

The righteous reveal the fountain of life that’s in their hearts. Like God, the great Revealer, they open themselves to others. They share wisdom, joy, encouragement and life that God has given them.  They also reveal their temptations, burdens and sins to others.

The wicked conceal, like their father, Satan. He hides, deceives, and operates in darkness.  The wicked conceal their hatred, sins and intentions. They smile to your face and slander you behind your back. Their M.O. is to cover up, to fly under the radar, and play their cards close to their chests.

All of us are tempted to conceal. It’s humbling to confess our sins and struggles to others. I want to look good; I want others to think I have it all together.  But concealing is the road to disaster; confessing the path to mercy:

Whoever conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy. (PR 28.13)

Question: What holds you back from sharing your struggles with others? And how have you grown in sharing them?

Comments

Pride is what keeps me from sharing my struggles.

Whatever growth I've enjoyed is probably connected to applying God's Word to my life. The truth that "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble" is a favorite. I don't want the Almighty opposing me … I need His grace.

• says

Hey Dave,

I'm president of the Pride Club. The Scripture you shared is one of my favorites too. You are so right – much better to be humble than to have God opposing us. Thanks for sharing this Scripture!

2. Elaine says

Pride and the fear of man have both played a part but being burned by others is also a factor. Confessing sin and sharing your struggles with others and then having that information become fodder for the gossip mill is particularly painful. But the Lord is faithful – he binds up the broken places and sets things aright. He has provided people who care and who recognize the sharing of hurts/struggles with sins is a sacred trust – it enables us to bear one another's burdens and knits us together as a church family.

• says

Thanks for mentioning this Elaine. Praise God for faithful brothers and sisters who will bear our burdens with us with compassion and wisdom and not spread them around in a slanderous way. I'm grateful to be a part of a church family like that. And I'm grateful you're a part of it too!

How fitting… Brad Ruggles just asked an almost identical question:

I think part of my problem is my automated responses. I'm really good at sinking into automode and replying with automatic answers instead of really considering and caring about people.

How have a grown? Surprisingly (right?), most times when I share, someone else has gone through or is going through the same thing. Imagine that! Welcome to connectedness.

-Marshall Jones Jr.

• says

You're right, Marshall. No temptation has come upon us except what is common to man. When we share our struggles and temptations, most believers can identify with us in some way.