Eleven Essential Character Qualities Of A Good Leader

l-uf5psi98c65opq

I’ve been thinking about character lately. What character qualities (not gifts) are important for a leader? I’ve listed 11. What qualities would you add? Which are most important?  I know one thing – I don’t want to be a Laggard!

• Humility
  • Courage
  • Faithfulness
  • Thankfulness
  • Joyfulness
  • Gentleness
  • Self-control
  • Generosity
  • Godliness
  • Diligence
  • Patience

Comments

• says

Great Dave!

I like this one – I hadn't thought of it, but now I'm thinking Hunger for God, hunger for his glory, hunger to see the kingdom come. I recently read that a leader should have a godly kind of spiritual dissatisfaction or discontentment. Thanks

You should link up some of the words to previous posts. I was about to try to do it for you in this comment, but you don't have a search box here. I know you have a couple articles, though, that I can think of that cover some of those characteristics. Nice list, though.

-Marshall Jones Jr.

• says

Outstanding Peggy. Both of these are critical. I think faith is especially critical, because, as you know, both leaders and churches face many obstacles, challenges, and trials that require faith.

I think your list points to servant-hood. Want to be a good christian leader? Be a lead servant. My new word would be servantship.

3. Kati says

I would have to say being willing to listen. A godly leader is willing to listen to others' advice and suggestions (and then apply those changes, if need be…).

Thank you so much for your website! I am encouraged every time I read it. =D

• says

Kati,

I agree. Being willing to listen is huge. Especially to others' advice, suggestions, criticisms, observations and concerns. And yes, to apply appropriate changes. Great!

Thanks for your encouragement.

4. John Cordero says

Courage
    Knowledge
    Loyalty
    Enthusiasm

JAC

• says

These are some really excellent ones, John. I hadn't thought of some of them. I especially like Enthusiasm. Every Christian leader should be enthusiastic – we're dealing with incredible wonderful spiritual realities like salvation and union with Christ – how can every Christian leader (and every Christian) not be enthusiastic? Thanks!