Shine A Little Light On Me

4262998280_50134880eb

How do we shine the light of Christ into the darkness?

Do all things without grumbling or questioning, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, (PHP 2.14-15)

We shine a light into the darkness by doing all things without complaining.  We show this crooked generation that in Christ, God has changed us and now counts us “blameless”, “innocent” and “without blemish” when we do all things, even hard things,  joyfully.

All around us in this darkened world, people are watching us and listening to us. When Paul and Silas were beaten and thrown into prison, they sang hymns at midnight and the other prisoners were listening to them (AC 16.25). Those in darkness need to see that Jesus Christ is real and his power can change people. When we do all without complaining, we shine a powerful light into the darkness.

photo by jronaldlee

Comments

This is a terrific reminder before leaving for work. I think the office is the place I most often sin in this area.

Anyone else have a similar sinful tendency?

• Ben says

Yes. What a timely post. Just yesterday I found myself joining in the 'complain about the boss' time with my co-workers.

Thankfully, God loves me so much and has shown this to me. By His grace and strength I endeavor to not partake in this complaining. That I even have a job is a gift from God. I need to be a good steward of it and not complain.

• says

Great attitude, Ben. We are so blessed to have jobs in this country. It really is challenging though when co-workers grumble about the boss. I commend you for your humility to share this. God will give you grace!

• says

• says

Hi Dave,

I think it’s very common to grumble and slander at the workplace. There’s lots of obvious temptations: bosses who give us stuff to do we don’t like, co-workers who are unpleasant to work with. It’s a definite challenge not to join in. I can remember when I taught art, the teacher’s lounge was usually a cesspool of complaining. It truly takes God’s grace to not complain at work.

• says

Hi Dave,

• says

Hey jns,

You aren’t kidding – as a parent, I am regularly tempted to grumble if not out loud, in my heart. I want to shine the light of thankfulness into my children and grandchildren’s lives.

• says