All I Need Is A Miracle

fa0avjvn0ukaya

The gospel is more astonishing than any miracle.

In Acts 13 Paul shares the gospel with Sergius Paulus, proconsul of Cyprus.  When the local sorcerer tries to turn him from faith in Christ, Paul pronounces judgment of temporary blindness, which falls upon the magician immediately.

Then the proconsul believed, when he saw what had occurred, for he was astonished at the teaching of the Lord. (AC 13.12)

Though the proconsul witnessed a stunning miracle, which definitely got his attention, what astonished him was “the teaching of the Lord.”  The gospel is more astonishing than any miracles that accompany it.  It is more astonishing that Jesus would become a man, take our sins, be punished for them, and rise from the dead than it is for a man to be blinded by God’s power.

Isn’t it amazing, astounding, incredible that God opened your blind eyes, gave life to your dead heart, justified you in his sight, adopted you as his child and made you an heir with Christ?  I want to see miracles, but I want to be astonished at the gospel.

Comments

1. lisa says

Yes, Mark, it is amazing and astounding, but technically it's not incredible, because that would mean that it's "unbelievable," and we CAN believe it! But then, that is by God's grace too. Don't mean to split hairs, but just to point out that it actually WOULD be incredible if we were left on our own, but God in his amazing, astounding kindness granted the repentance and faith (belief) to us. He is so good!

• says

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your comments – I didn't mean incredible in the technical sense….I meant it like "amazing" but thanks for pointing it out! I always need to be sharpened.

2. Elaine says

Okay, I'm showing my age here but when I first show the title, All I Need is a Miracle, my mind immediately went back to the '80s and that old Mike and the Mechanics song! Brought back memories of windows rolled down, singing at the top of my lungs and heading out to the beach!

After reading the post, I was reminded again of what is truly a miracle – God Himself leaving heaven to die a criminal's death on a cross for all who believe in Him, and then being raised on the third day. Wow, it is astounding and incredible when we reflect on the grandness of the Gospel. Thanks for the encouragement! I never want to lose that wonder over what Christ has accomplished for us!

• lisa says

Betcha Mark was thinking of that song, too, Elaine! He's cool like that!
      (Yeah, I'm just trying to make up for giving him a hard time for using the word incredible.)

• MarkAltrogge says

I was thinking of that song Elaine and Lisa! I really liked Mike and the Mechanics. Thanks for your comments! Hey Lisa, no problem about the "hard time" – I don't mind at all…I need to be accurate!

The gospel is astonishing!!! Recently a friend of mine got saved. Just to hear her speak and stand up for her faith(she originally came from a Hindu background), makes me want to praise God for the regenerating work He has done in us. The Gospel is truly Supernatural :)

'All I Need is a Miracle' ~ now I can't get that song out of my head. But yes, the gospel and God's amazing grace weaving right through it, is definitely an 'incredible' miracle! Yet, I believe!! That's the beauty of faith!