The Hymn of the Legalist

Jesus Paid It Some

I hear the Savior say,
“You’re not doing enough;
Work your fingers to the bone,
I will save those who are tough.”

Jesus paid it some
I will do the rest
Sin had left a crimson stain
Now I will give my best

For now indeed I’ll try
To earn your love and grace
I’ll add the works I have
To complete the price you paid.

REFRAIN

And when before the throne
I’ll give my deeds to you,
I’ll hope I’ve done enough
To make you let me through.

REFRAIN (3x just to be sure)

Comments

Stephen,

Wow. This is really good. A powerful reminder of how terrible my legalism truly is. So grateful that my attempts to earn God's favor are covered by His blood! What an awesome God we serve!

• StephenAltrogge says

Yeah I\’m so grateful that I don\’t have to earn my way to God. There is simply no way I could do it! How could I possibly stand before a holy God? Only because Jesus paid it all!

• says

It constantly amazes me how I forget that legalism is a sin. So in my attempt to earn God's favor for my sin, I'm just sinning more. And then I remember that I'm sinning and I'm freshly aware of how AWESOME and free His grace is! What a merciful and gracious God.

• StephenAltrogge says

Yeah, it is kind of funny, which is how I mean it. But it is true of legalism, isn\’t it? There\’s always the element of feeling like I need to do more.

• Petra Hefner says

Yep, sneaky legalism. :(
        How easily we tend to forget how great God's grace really is. It's all sufficient! I do love your 'meaningful' humor though! Thanks!

2. MaM says

What is sad is the entire Catholic church lives by this song. Salvation is by Grace Alone, in Christ Alone, and there is nothing left for me to pay!

3. Melissa says

Amen, amen, amen!!! Short, to the point, and, sadly, true! I love your perspective and sense of humor…and that it's all done in line with the truth of God's Word. Praise God we don't have to earn our way into His presence, but only through the gracious gift of the blood of Jesus Christ can we "stand in Him complete!!