Not Perfect, But Worth Imitating

I urge you, then, be imitators of me (1 Corinthians 4:16).

“God has designed the Christian life so that much of one’s progress comes through imitating other Christians, imperfect though they be.” — ESVSB

Every Christian should seek to live a life worth emulating.  What do your friends see in you that they can imitate?  What do your children see?  What would a new believer want to replicate?

Are you cheerful in trials?  Humble?  Do you have a heart to serve?  Is your faith worth imitating?  Do you consistently pursue the Lord?

I want to imitate Charles Spurgeon’s love of Jesus, John Newton’s joy, CJ Mahaney’s humility, David Powlison’s compassion.  I want to imitate the way so many in our church serve, and the perseverance of so many of my friends in affliction.

Who do you seek to imitate and why?

photo by dbz885

Comments

1. JackW says

I seek to imitate the Bereans because I’ve been fooled too many times.

That plus “Noble Jack” has a nice ring to it, don’t you think?

2. Elaine says

So many to choose from – thank You, Father, for placing so many godly people in my life. You know how I need each of them. They've taught me how to live out Colossians 1:10 "so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God". Yes, I am blessed. Let me introduce you to them:
    My mother in law for her steadfastness in trials and her love for the Word, my father in law who consistently models Christ's compassion , my husband for his diligence in all things and his heart for the Lord., and my dad for modeling the Father's kindness thru his graciousness & hospitality, There are so many heros of the faith; these are just some of my favorites.

• MarkAltrogge says

You have some good models to imitate Elaine – and you also are living a life worth imitating – your cheerful service to our church, your constant encouragement…not to mention being a great wife and mom…

3. Beth says

(1 of 2)
    Wow, how timely! I just led worship at a ladies' meeting in our church for the first time. If I decided to lead in my own knowledge or strength, it'd be a sure mess. But I felt comfortable to accept that assignment first of all because I know His Spirit is more than able, but secondly because I've had such examples. In watching our pastor lead the worship team for the year that I've been a part of it, and also in watching the woman who usually leads the ladies' worship, I have had much opportunity to learn from their examples. To learn how to depend utterly and entirely on the Spirit. How to direct the worship team and the congregation to Christ. How to constantly renounce our naturally performance-driven mindset. How to remind the team that it's nothing we say or do or play that brings us into God's presence, but only the cross of Christ. How to be a gracious and encouraging leader, rather than critical or harsh.

4. Beth says

(2 of 2)
    How to vary the music of different songs and verses in order to maximize the ability for the congregation to participate and be engaged. How to be sensitive to the leading of the Spirit as you are singing and playing. How to exhort others to Christ (sharing scripture) even in the very practical aspect of emails about what songs we're doing and when we're going to practice. And I will never ever forget the first time I thanked one of our worship leaders for leading, and he said, "_God_ is our worship leader. I am not the worship leader." He wasn't saying it harshly or saying we should never use the term worship leader. He was graciously and intentionally pointing the Glory where it was due, and saying he was simply a vessel for the Lord. I am just blown away that I've had the opportunity to learn from those who are wise and living by the power of the Spirit, and I desire that others would be directed upward through me and through my leadership.

Thanks for this inspirational post. I seek to imitate my pastor's boldness, Bob Kaulfin's wisdom and humility, my daughter's child-like trust. There's also a good friend, mentor, and former teacher of mine that has such a gentle spirit but yet so much authority because of his consistent walk with Christ that I seek to imitate him as well.

• MarkAltrogge says

Hey Ryan,

Great comments – I especially like the combo of gentle spirit and authority that comes from his consistent walk. Thanks!

I want to emulate John MacArthur's study habits, John Calvin's stamina and commitment to preaching, Paul Washer's passion, R, C. Sproul's intelligence, Luke's faithfulness, and Paul's humility.

• MarkAltrogge says

Hey Vince,

I'm sure you have much to imitate by God's grace – I'm sure that most of us feel like we've little to offer though…someday in heaven we'll be surprised at God's work in our lives…

1. [...] Second, Stephen Altrogge reminds us that we should seek to live in such a way that others can imitate us, and that we should seek others that we can imitate.  While we follow Christ, it is helpful for us to see what that means fleshed out in one another. [...]