On Thursday I posted an article entitled “Glory In the Details”, encouraging us to search out the little details of every passage of scripture. Here are fourteen questions to help you find the glory in the details.
1. Who is the author of the passage?
2. Who were the recipients?
3. What is the historical background of the passage?
4. What is the outline/structure of the passage?
5. Are any words repeated? Any significance to the repetition?
6. Are there any unusual words in the passage that call for more exploration?
7. How does the passage fit into the surrounding paragraph? Chapter? Book?
8. Why did the author place the passage here and not somewhere else?
9. In one sentence, what is the main point of the passage?
10. How would the original audience have been affected by the passage?
11. How does this passage connect to the overall storyline of the Bible?
12. How does this passage reveal Jesus as savior?
13. How does God want this passage to function in my life?
14. What kind of response does this passage call for?
Now that we’re all comfortable with comments, what would you add to the list?
Note: These questions are not my own. They were taken from a very helpful class on hermeneutics (interpreting the Bible).
+photo by liber