I Haven’t Seen Target or Walmart Offering This Lately

After this many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him. So Jesus said to the Twelve, “Do you want to go away as well?”  Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God.” John 6:66-69

When life’s hard we can be tempted to run somewhere other than to Jesus for satisfaction. Like the Egyptians when Moses turned the waters of the Nile to blood.  They dug along its scrabbly banks in vain searching for something drinkable, rather than turning to God.

When we’re tempted to drink from some temporary cup, we should say where else could I go? Where else will I find the words of eternal life? I’m going to stay right here with Jesus.

Where else can we go? Philosophy doesn’t have the words of eternal life. Dr. Phil doesn’t. Facebook doesn’t.  Buddha doesn’t.  I haven’t seen Target or Walmart offering eternal life lately.  I drank from lots of empty wells in my day.  Only Jesus has the soul-quenching words of eternal life.

What we need in the storm or the desert are WORDS – Jesus’ words – everlasting words. We think we need cash, companionship, a job or a cruise, but what we really need are words. We need the promises of him who said heaven and earth will pass away but my words will never pass away.

Jesus has the words of ETERNAL life. All other solutions are field grass that’ll be gone tomorrow. Now that we’ve found Jesus, we’re living for eternity, not this mist called today. We’re storing up treasures that won’t rot or fade. Our fiery trials are momentary and light compared to the eternal weight of glory our sufferings are producing for us in heaven.

When we take Jesus’ words into us, they give us life. They revive us, strengthen us and infuse us with hope. They lift our micro-vision off this world and unveil the panorama of heaven.

Jesus knows how to sustain the weary with a word. If he can uphold the whole universe with his word (Hebrews 1:3) then his word can certainly enliven and rejuvenate and quench our thirsty souls.

So where will you go?

Comments

1. Elaine says

This passage has always been one of my favorites for exactly the reason you have pointed out – Jesus is what we hunger and thirst for above all else. So grateful He saved me! Yes, there are many mirages and empty wells out there – I was always looking for something to fill that hunger for ….I really didn't know what "it" was until He saved me and showed me it wasn't an "it" at all but a person – Jesus Christ. Nothing, nothing, nothing else will ever satisfy like He does.

Thanks, Mark, for the encouragement; it's appreciated.

2. Mark Altrogge says

Hi Elaine, thanks for adding your excellent comments. “Mirage” – great word! Wish I’d thought to use that one.

Hey Mark, once again another well timed encouragement/kick in the gut! I find that Jesus words so often make me say "ouch" as they reveal the prevalent idolatry existing in my heart. I so often find myself looking outside the provision of my Heavenly Father and I try finding relief and solutions outside of Jesus words. Kind of like taking in a big gulp of salt water, the thirst is quenched temporarily but it's never truly satisfied. Great post, as always! May we find our contentment nowhere else but in Jesus and His sufficiency.
    Blessings
    Ron

• Mark Altrogge says

Hey Ron, just like Elaine your comments are excellent! I really like your salt water analogy. Wish I had thought of that one too! Thanks for commenting!

4. Caroline says

Something that has been coming back to me again and again is that the moment i lose my focus or turn my gaze away from Jesus my life falls apart. Need to run the race with Christ as my goal.. even as crazy trials come by, to endure the race faithfully as Christ did when he was on the earth, His goal being the cross :D

5. Bowed Down says

Mark,
    Suffering from debilitating migraines and headaches in this season of my life. Its difficult and easy to bet bowed down (Psalm 146 / 2 Cor.1: 8- 10). The second reference was provided by a great friend, brother, and pastor! I prayed for help, God brought me encouragement through one, and now through another. Thanks.

Bowed Down

• Mark Altrogge says

Dear Bowed Down, Your trust in God and turning to him and his word in your affliction glorifies him so much! Thank you for sharing those two scriptures. I hope this season in your life doesn't last too long, and that God delivers you out of your afflictions soon.

6. lisa says

"When we’re tempted to drink from some temporary cup" — that is a GREAT way to put it. Excellent post, Mark. Draws me up short (in a good way). Thanks.

7. sonikaraj says

This is so well-written, but a difficult pill to swallow. I'm dealing with grief, arguing with Jesus, wondering how on earth He could be the path to eternal life and yet steal life from someone I love. And yet, as much as I want to ignore Him, there's the nagging dilemma: where else would I go? Talk about being between a rock and a hard place…

• Mark Altrogge says

Hi sonika, I am so so sorry that you are going through grief and loss right now. The loss of a loved one is always tragic and devastating. And there is so much about death we don't understand. My brother took his life at age 22. I've lost my mom. One of my good friends died 3 years ago from a brain tumor. I can't imagine what it would be like to lose a spouse or child. And I don't know what you are going through, but I know this. Jesus cares about you. He is a compassionate, sympathetic high priest who has suffered in every way that we have. Somehow he truly understands the depth of your anguish. And somehow, he can comfort you. He doesn't mind you expressing your pain and questions to him. So, I know you know this, but where else would you go? Keep going to Jesus. Someday he will wipe away every tear from your eyes.